Friday, March 9, 2012

Hong Kong 2012 - Chapter 3: Dinner at Hu Tong Restaurant on Day 2

3 February 2012

O.M.G. I have dined at a Michelin-starred restaurant and never even realised it!! *hyperventilating* Only found out when I was researching the menu of the restaurant that we went to for dinner on the second day of my Hong Kong company trip - Hu Tong (胡同)Restaurant located on the 28th floor of 1 Peking Road.

Our boss found out about this place from the hotel concierge and we went there without realising that it was quite famous for its harbourfront view~

The very understated signboard downstairs (I realised that Hong Kong isn't very easy to navigate for people who don't know chinese/cantonese, so glad that I know both!)

Saw this on the way to the restaurant... wonder when we'll get customised number plates in Malaysia @.@

My first thought when we first stepped into the restaurant was that it was too dark and dimly lit, the overall lighting was more like the left and right sides of the picture above.. The decor was very nice by the way, since Hutong means alleyway in chinese, there were many antique-looking items all over the place, even in the toilets!

This was taken in the toilet by the way.. super eerie right? The toilet was dark as well and they were playing the upbeat version of 我等着你回来 (the song from the Hutong website, if you want to know what its like) which is an eerie song even on its own.. luckily I didnt go in alone!! The doors and tap were very special though, the doors had no actual lock but a small wooden bar to prevent the doors from opening like those you see in ancient buildings and the tap was a strip of bamboo with water coming out when you pushed on a small bamboo knob, we spent a long time in the toilet admiring the surroundings, hahaha...


The table settings, see the super thick spoon? The heaviest spoon I've seen so far..

Appetiser was edamame beans and some kind of pickled vegetable~

Chilli Spiced Bamboo Clams 圣旨到
This tasted quite good but was rather garlicky..

Crabmeat and Turnip Rolls 白云卷


Prawns Fried with Chilli Green Peppers 尖椒虾
This was super yummy!!

Me staring into space while my colleague was testing the lighting on her camera :D

Beef Tenderloin Wok Fried with Scallion 果木烧牛
This was yummy too!!

Spicy Minced Pork with String Beans 干煸四季豆

Hutong's Spicy Fried Rice 胡同米饭
This was too spicy for almost all of us, they fried the rice using chilli oil, felt like my tongue was on fire XD

Crispy De-boned Lamb Ribs 京城羊肉
This is apparently a very famous dish of theirs, but it was a bit too strong tasting for our liking, in the end we had to cajole each other to finish the dish!

Sauce and garnishing for the ribs, had to put a lot of sauce to mask the strong taste of the lamb

Chinese Pancake with Yam Filling 土饼


Double Treasure Box a.k.a. jellies and mango in glutinous rice wrap @.@

Vegetable and Mushroom Noodles 峨嵋素面

We kept ordering as there is a minimum spending of (i think) HKD400 per person and we just couldn't eat enough to reach the minimum.. In the end, my boss ordered a bottle of wine to go since we were stuffed to the brim and nobody could eat any more..

After dinner, some of my colleagues caught the shuttle bus back to the hotel while the rest of us took the MTR to Ladies Market to soak in the atmosphere~

Me in my Topshop jacket which I only bought the day before we left for HK, it was on sale for only SGD39!! what a steal.. Luckily I bought it.. Hong Kong at night during the end of January/ beginning of February is quite cold, loved the weather there!

The brightly lit and busy street at night~

Street performance~

Finally got to try 鸡蛋仔 after seeing people in HK dramas eating it all the time! Tastes like crispy waffle and I quite like it.. There are all sorts of fillings you can choose to put in it too, but I chose the original one... Got this from a stall that was selling all the standard HK street fare like curry fishballs and stinky tofu, wish I could have more curry fishballs, but don't come near me with stinky tofu, I can't stand the smell, so don't ask me to put it in my mouth :P

We walked around Ladies Market until the stalls closed at 11pm, there was so much interesting things to see, and all of us ended up buying lots of little trinkets even though we all said that we didn't have anything to buy when we started O.o...

(our boss even bought herself a fake branded bag.. Oooo, didn't expect her to be using fakes~) We wanted to take the MTR back to our hotel, but I think my boss couldn't stand the thought of experiencing public transport again, so we all took a taxi back, I don't remember how much it cost since my boss paid, so we just savoured the experience, muahaha...

Hong Kong money is so colourful :):):)

After the harrowing experience on day 1, day 2 was a very satisfying day, since I managed to do some shopping and eat some food that cannot be missed while in HK.. ended the day with a nice long bath and watching k-pop music on cable tv while enjoying my super lovely room.. aaaahhhh.... We'd made plans to visit Central Hong Kong the next day, so stay tuned for chapter 4~ :)

No comments: