Sunday, June 27, 2021

Partially Vaccinated

18 June 2021

So I've gotten my first dose of the Pfizer-BioNtech Covid-19 Vaccine. In contrast to all the apprehension and nervousness I felt earlier, the actual event was kind of underwhelming!

I managed to get it before they opened the vaccination to people in my age group thanks to a corporate policy =)

The Grabcar trip to the vaccination centre was quite uneventful. I had chosen to go to Serangoon Community Centre for my jab as I did not want to visit a clinic and also because the locations nearer to me were out of slots. This was partly due to my procrastination during registration as there were slots available in Sengkang and Punggol when I checked at about 10pm once I received my sms. When I woke up the next day, all the slots had disappeared like magic (I actually registered after waking up the next day -____-) 



















Anyway, the first thing you do once you arrive at the vaccination centre is to get a ticket to wait your turn for registration (after taking your temperature and checking-in as usual). I got number S684 and there were about 20 people before me when I first sat down in front of the screen. Before I could even sit down and get my bearings straight, it was my turn within 5 minutes!!! 


The next step was registration at the counter. All you need is your NRIC. After some general questions for identification, I was told to head to a partitioned area. I actually thought there would be some more waiting involved but nope, it was straight to the injection area @@! The nurse then provided some information (rattled off more like). I only managed to squeeze in one question before she told me to pull up my sleeve and it was done in just one wink, seriously like 2 seconds! I had just turned my head to look away and it was done. 


Right after the injection, I was ushered to the observation area to rest/sit around and wait for 30 minutes. It seriously looked like some kind of examination hall lol. I finally had time to get my head around the situation and look around me. The 30 minutes passed by really quickly, it seemed like I only had time to send a few whatsapp messages and settle down before my name was called.


Next up was the discharge counter where they checked if I was feeling unwell and I was then given a slip showing the date for my next dose, and then that was it! Super underwhelming!!!  


I was feeling A-Ok and hence went to do some grocery shopping after that (and kept forgetting not to use my left arm to carry stuff). In anticipation of some side effects, my plan was to go for the jab in the evening (I picked the 7pm timing) and go to bed early to sleep it off. 


Ended up buying supper (can't remember the last time I ate after 7pm) as I was somehow feeling ravenous @@ After a couple of days of observation, I think the only side effect I got was that hungry feeling after the jab and having a slightly longer afternoon nap than usual the next day (though that might be due to laziness.. no idea.. hahaha). I was slightly disappointed to be honest, since I thought that healthy people would experience stronger side effects. Seriously wondering if my immunity is not as good as I thought before? Although it seems that most people did not feel anything after their first dose of Pfizer. So I'll wait for the next dose and see if there is any difference.


So I had prepared 2 items that I usually never buy in case I would be out of action after my jab. Ended up having the porridge for breakfast and it was nicer than expected. Porridge to me = sick people food and I usually won't think of it; and unlike normal people, I actually don't keep a stash of painkillers at home XD

Important Note: 
The only question I managed to squeak out to the nurse before my jab was when I heard that we can only take normal Panadol after the vaccination and asked why. Do not take Panadol Actifast if you have any side effects after your vaccination as it is considered a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) due to its ingredients. So I guess my 20 caplets are going to get thrown out after they live in my fridge long enough to expire.

If you are planning to get any souvenirs from the vaccination centre, they give out pamphlets on the vaccine hahahaha. My colleague said that they provide free face masks and sanitizers too, but I didn't pick them up. There should be people who would need such freebies more than me I guess. 

Next dose is again on a Friday, on 30 July 2021. Let's see if it can be as smooth as my experience for the first dose. Looking forward to getting my vaccination certificate, then I can think about going home for the first time since March 2020!!!!!  

No comments: