Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 35: Princess Dock, Albert Dock and other parts of Liverpool

Arguably the most carefree weekend I've had since I arrived, finished one subject on Friday and only starting the new one on Monday, so we had to find stuff to do to fill up our Saturday and Sunday.. Well, I spent Sunday wasting time in my room, so will talk about Saturday..

Finally, finally got to go to Albert Dock after so long, its a pain hearing everyone go on and on about how nice the view is, especially at night.. Too bad I havent yet had the chance to go at night.. :( Anyways, we took what is known as the scenic route, with all sorts of interesting things to see..

First attraction: Yellow Superlambanana~
Its in front if the resource centre that we go to print our assignments but never taken a photo of it before..

Next item on the agenda.. Building with windows that rotate in a circle, why do they have that, I really don't know.. Pics below show the various stages of its rotation~


Yate's Wine Lodge


Then we came to this impressive place which I don't know what its for, but looks like two office blocks, exceptionally pretty office blocks..

Walker House

Horton House
With a lovely monument in the middle..


My favourite pose out of the many statues.. Deep in thought.. I like..


Hey bro, look! Theres a Thistle here.. hehehe..

This is one of 'The Three Graces' that line the Mersey River..
The Royal Liver Building

Its supposed to be really pretty at night.. Sigh..

This is the view across the river from Princess Dock

Girls only group pic~~

Point anywhere people, creative no?

and the guys have their turn too of course :) hahahahhaha...



Everyone, meet Edward, Edward the seventh... @.@~

Interesting building, I thought this was the Beatle's story building but I was mistaken.. Everyone attacked the souvenir shop inside.. except me >.<

Nice staircase.. All songs by the Beatles

River view..

Mersey ferry, I'm going to be on it this sunday, yay~

And after this, we finally come to Albert Dock.. whew, took such a long time..


The Pumphouse, a pub

First thing we saw was this ship, turned out to be Pirate's Day at Albert Dock.. There were many people all dressed as pirates all over the place..


and this really interesting performance..



Cool huh..
Visited both the Maritime Museum and Slavery Museum.. So full of culture, yeah right~ The maritime museum was basically just full of stuff like this:

Models of ships

Personally I felt quite bored after awhile, there were I think 4 floors in the whole museum, and I was dragging my feet by the third floor.. The only ship that caught my interest was this:

Recognise this?

Hint: 4 chimneys and Leonardo diCaprio

yes, it supposedly set sail from Liverpool..

Medals awarded to people who helped survivors

Three doomed ships on display
Quite tired at this point, so didn't bother to take many pictures..

Urghh.. This is eerie.. Torture devices


I spent quite some time sitting in a darkened room, watching a video on the history of Liverpool.. Felt like sleeping in there as well..

My favourite thing in the whole place was in the gift shop, soap with super cute names.. Most of them are a tribute to The Beatles if you notice..

and I finally got my Liverpool penny souvenir.. It says Mersey Maritime Museum on top and 'Schooner' at the bottom.. :D The coin not shiny enough, sigh..

More of Albert Dock:




Just as we were leaving, this pirate ship suddenly appeared..

And suddenly there were very loud gunshots all over the place..


Turned out that there was a show on, and this ship and the one earlier were shooting at each other.. Didn't catch the whole show, cos we couldn't stand the noise..

We crossed the road and saw this really weird sight~

A marching band with people dressed as black ants! Of all things.. They went the same way as we were going so we got to enjoy a most interesting performance..

Shared a jacket potato on the way back.. hehehe.. in the rain (drizzle) mind you.. :) Finally got to try it after so long.. I likey the potato skin, haha..

and that's it.. Really exhausting day, considering we walked another 1 hour just to get back.. Really happy that I finally got the chance to visit Albert Dock and lucky that it was a Saturday, so got to see some unexpected stuff.. hehe...

1 comment:

SYF said...

the pretty girl is that wearing the black jacket and white T-shirt de .. ^^