Friday, January 6, 2012

Korean Garden Club Restaurant - The Korean BBQ Experience~

Caught in a Korean craze lately.. @.@~

Latest Obsession!! Lee Min Ho as City Hunter~ *swoon*
The rare Korean drama that is perfect! exciting, not draggy at all and with the perfect music score to boot.. Yeah I know, its been out half a year already.. I'm outdated lah, so what :P

What better time to remind myself of some wholesome, yummy Korean food?! I've been wanting to do a post on this Korean restaurant in Johor Bahru since ages ago but its been hard to find excess brain cells to blog properly after finishing a whole day of work.. The first time I went was in July last year for a gathering with my secondary school classmates and the second time was for my birthday dinner with Mum and Bro~

They say that first impressions are most important, so it was lucky that I had a very good first impression of the place as the second experience wasn't that good and if my review was based on the second visit, it would be a very bad review indeed.. more on that later though..

The Korean Garden Club Restaurant is situated along Lido Beach at one of the old bungalows by the side of the road, its easier to spot now since they put up a red signboard, but it was much harder to locate previously, we had to look out for some wooden huts to find it..

The very understated and hard to spot entrance! This was the only sign telling us that we were at the correct place the first time I went @.@

said huts and part of the main house~

What a pretty house.. I want!!!

We arrived early :)

So there was plenty of time to chit chat and fool around before our gathering began :)


Behind the scenes of Domokun's modelling photoshoot~~
Link to the album here, but it could be locked, hehe

There were 10 of us, so we ordered Set H~ I'm so kind that I'm going to list out what the set consisted for easy reference:

Set H (6-8 pax) RM300
Marinated Pork Meat x 2
Seafood Onion Pancake x 2
Grilled Mackerel Fish
Ginseng Chicken Soup x 2
Chicken Meat x 2
Fresh Pork Belly x 2
Fried Dumpling

Even without the pan chan (which I've defined before previously) it already seemed like a lot.. whats more the tea, pan chan and salad greens are refillable, so you can be satisfied even if you are literally starving before having dinner there..

The mind boggling array of side dishes, ALL REFILLABLE!! *great for stingy people like me who love a good bargain*

Enjoy the sunset and sea breeze while dining :D

This is the grill for the BBQ! Don't worry about consuming too much carbon since they change the lid every time they cook a new dish :):)


Pork Belly before and after.. Yummy!! Highly recommend the pork belly :)


Marinated chicken meat, I remember it tasted a little sweet because of the sauce.. Note to self: I don't like my meat sweet @.@~

This is the grilled mackerel, which tasted slightly burnt because of the skin.. I didn't like this as it tasted a little too fishy for me.. I think this wasn't very popular with the others as well..

Korean Seafood Pancake~

I forgot to take pictures of the Ginseng Chicken Soup and Dumplings, but as you can see, even with such a long table, we still had trouble fitting all the food in... muahahhaha... The thing I love the most about Korean food is that its so healthy, you feel healthier even by looking at the amount of greens on the table *Trying to ignore the fact that I'm eating BBQ-ed meat*

Quite a good turn out, 10 out of 12!! I think we sat there from 6pm (when the restaurant opened) until 11pm, there was just so much catching up to do :)

Anyways, I couldn't wait to go again after that first time.. but the second time was a little disappointing, there were mosquitoes everywhere, we had a hard time getting people to serve us, i.e. for refills (which wasn't the case the first time I was there T_T) and I think we just ordered too much for 3 people, which made the volume of food on the table a bit too overwhelming.. aaaand, the toilet was a huge disappointment, maybe because the house is so old that the accompanying toilet just seems like it can't hold up much longer..

Lesson learned: Do not sit outdoors after it has rained!! (and also hold your bladder until you reach home so you don't have to experience the run-down toilet, hahaha)..

Do not fret though, I would still love to dine there if given the chance and I'd still recommend the restaurant to friends, just be sure you follow the instructions above~ :D

No comments: