Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A weird kind of essay..

I just want to lament on the poor standard of English the majority of people in Malaysia today have.. The example below is one of the most eye-popping essays I have ever read, and believe me, I have seen my fair share of horrible english, but this is unbelievable.. Read on and then you'll see..

***********************************************************************

An Accident

I have seen many school accidents. Extremely terrorist, did not why can make into this. The school accidents time calculates much, has broken, the hands and feet is injured, is sheared by the sharp and so on the similar accidents.

Myself also has in the school outside the feelings, at that time my friends and I very afraid and frightens. The matter is occurs like this, when under staircase hasn't held the steady parapet to lag behind by the friends, the both feet soars with the staircase collision, gives people a hard time sits in ground, the friends holds me to get up immediately can stand up. With a limp turns back in the class, only the discovered the both feet ankle area is tumescent, exaggerates very much!

The really cannot bear the ache, rescues the room to ask teacher to solve the ache. Takes off the sock and shoe, teacher frightens the ankle area the tumescence, take ZHENG GU SHUI to scratch for me, doesn't have the good spot feeling. Teacher suggested I am called the parents to come the school to lead me to go home, I didn't have the agreement to return to the class to attend class, because also had several to have to be on vacation from school.

Afterwards, I cannot go to school for 2 weeks rests in home. That section of period is very laborious, cannot walk, goes see a doctor wants others to hug me, goes to bathroom when solves restroom on oneself. When goes to the school, but also cannot walk must depend on sits wheelchair motion to attend class and so on, has the friends to help me, so lucky and thanks. Sits all day very tired, I know disabled person's feeling.

After the accident, ankle area before is easy than do injury, I become more careful, feared injuries once more.

*********************************************************************

I did not edit anything, and although the first time I read it, I nearly died laughing, in the end I just felt really sad and sorry for the poor girl (who is taking her SPM exam next year by the way). How can not one sentence have the right structure? She is in my mum's tuition class, and its really that bad until mum had to strike off the entire essay (the first time this has ever happened, I believe) as it was completely meaningless.. This takes direct translation from chinese to a whole new level.. Even my brother and me who are kind of expert in reading directly translated texts had trouble comprehending this!

Its bad enough that this girl is in a private school that encourages memorising, but I think that many students are like her, being ruined by the electronic dictionaries! What the heck, words like tumescent and sheared and parapet appeared in that essay of hers! O.o.. and eventhough she is already struggling, her parents don't seem to be concerned about her yet.. Its such a shame really.. Can't anyone tell that our current education system isn't exactly doing wonders??! Why else could our parents from previous generations learn such good english in school last time??!

Grr.. please lah, minister of education, I think something needs to be done pretty soon, otherwise the standard of english in Malaysia will be reaching the South Pole pretty soon >.<...

No comments: