Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Star Trek 2009!

Whoosh~ I just realised its been a long time since I last posted a movie review.. Well, since the past few movies I watched, most people probably have watched long before me, so I don't think an introduction for them was necessary..

Recognise him?? Nah, you most probably don't, or didn't until very recently.. Don't pretend..

Chris Pine

Haha, to be honest, I couldn't recognise him too, eventhough I've watched 2 films that he was in (Princess diaries 2 and Just my luck).. Anyways, Chris Pine is now known as Captain James T. Kirk of the U.S.S Enterprise in Star Trek the movie (directed by J. J. Abrams).. Watched the movie on Monday with my mum and bro, haha... and I really, truly enjoyed it!


Maybe cos I don't remember much of the original series and don't know the original story, so I really couldn't find any loopholes in the story (which is very very important) and not knowing what has been changed or retained, also enabled me to watch it with an open mind.. The main attraction is the futuristic setting since everything mostly happens in space, the cast is yummy, with great chemistry and the jokes and action scenes are well-balanced, so nothing to complain about.. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it was almost a comedy cos there were quite a few laugh worthy parts~ :D

For a detailed synopsis, please go here.. Cos I'm lazy to summarize such a complex plot.. Just so you don't get confused, the bad guys are from the future, fuming over something that supposedly hasn't happened yet.. and you will see 2 Spocks, one from the present and one from the future so don't scratch your head and wonder whats going on while you are watching k.. :)

I am somewhat prejudiced when choosing movies sometimes, cos I do look at the cast before watching, the Star Trek cast is very likable indeed, even the villain, played by an unrecognisable Eric Bana (from The Hulk), watch out for Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes), John Cho (Harold from Harold and Kumar), Karl Urban (Lord of the Rings), Simon Pegg (Hot Fuzz) etc etc.. Oh, and I believe most people will love Anton Yelchin's character Chekov whose lines are very memorable.. haha... oh, and the actor who plays George Kirk is gorgeous too, I almost cried when he died, sobs...

My verdict: Go watch it even if you are not a Star Trek fan.. Even if you are, the more reason you should watch it, for a new viewpoint on the story you love so much..

*Just a personal opinion* Do you think John Cho looks like an alien in this picture?? hehehe..

No comments: