Thursday, March 26, 2009

Disappointment at Shanghai10

Planned to treat my mum to something I'd been researching about for her birthday a few weeks ago.. Cue: here and here (Read and Salivate people!!!!)~ but the stupid place, Ah Yat Abalone Forum Restaurant in first World Plaza only opens its doors at 11am, and I was due to have an interview at 12.30pm, so too bad, had to postpone a meal that I had been anticipating till next time.. :(

After finding out about the operating hours of said restaurant, I was so so disappointed, one cos I hadn't given mum a birthday present yet and two, I really really wanted to try out the dimsum at Ah Yat since the reviews were oh so good.. As a replacement treat, we went to Shanghai10 (First World Hotel, Genting) the night before since everyone was craving for a dessert after dinner and wandering around, everyone except dad that is, who prefers to sit on the bed watching television more than walking around shopping..

First impression of the place was very good, as the decor and the ambience was quite nice.. The menu was even nicer, we had a hard time deciding what to order as everything looked so inviting, haha.. In the end we still ordered quite a lot of things eventhough it was supposed to be supper..

Designs on the wall.. Many more scenes but impossible to capture everyone of them lah..

Then the first dish came and the next, and we were horribly disappointed, cos besides not looking like the pictures in the menu, the food didn't taste all that great as well, this coming from someone who thinks almost anything tastes nice, so when I say something doesn't taste nice, then you know there's some kind of problem~

Too sickly sweet peanut dessert, I think if someone finished the whole bowl, they would have failed their glucose test immediately! My mum made it worse by adding water to try and dilute it, in the end it turned out even more disgusting and we left almost 3/4 of it.. I don't remember anyone eating the little bun as well, I guess we were all too distracted trying to make it taste less sweet..

These were also a little too sweet for me, and I actually have a strong acceptance of sweet stuff! mango and honeydew 西米露.. The ice also kept getting in the way as I was eating, cos there was so much ice in there, guess the waiters also knew it was very sweet.. The fruit in there was quite adequate tho..

Pan fried paus, a bit too dry for my liking and took a long time to be served.. O.o.. I had to finish them cos nobody else really liked the taste.. Sigh, and I had so high expectations for this..

We also had omega eggtarts that looked oh so scrumptious in the menu, but turned out so so so so tiny and with hardly any filling.. Only the crust was there and it wasn't a very nice pastry either.. Anyway they looked so pathetic that I didn't even bother to photograph them, just remember never to order them while you are there, or if you ever do go there..

The only saving grace! Durian pancakes! Half of it was durian cream and the other half was real durian flesh.. Poor bro, you really missed out on something very good! Who asked you to hate durians.. Well, less men more share, heh! Luckily we had this otherwise I would have felt very very very unsatisfied after the meal..

To be kind, maybe there are other things worth having at Shanghai10 and please tell if you do know what they are.. For me, I don't think I'll be going anytime soon, ok, maybe just to have the durian pancake and othing else if I can help it... and to think the final bill wasn't that minuscule as well, hmph! Should have gone to Baskin Robbins for dessert instead come to think of it~


No comments: