Sunday, April 19, 2009

Singapore (April 2009)

Last Saturday, me and my mum went over the Straits of Johor to visit my aunt and cousins, one of whom has migrated to New Zealand just yesterday.. For a change, we decided to take the back alley way into Singapore and at the same time try out the ktm train service..

To be honest, the service you get can't be counted as superb, in fact, its quite far from superb.. Its just that the train station (Kempas station) is quite near my place and the view along the way was quite nice.. It didn't take much longer than if we go by bus as well, plus, you only have to go down once, since at the Malaysian side, the officers come up the train to check your passports..

My first impression was rather bad, cos the seats smelt rather musty at first (it did smell better after some time), and I'd gotten some ugly scratches while embarking.. but they weren't uncomfortable, if you must know...

The weird thing is that they have these giant screens, but don't bother turning it on for passengers... I much preferred Singapore's TV Mobile which shows interesting stuff for you to watch while taking the bus.. So, nothing to do but stare out the window lor.. I fell asleep after sometime tho.. :*

It only took us 2 stations to reach the customs checkpoint in Singapore.. The first one was Danga City Mall station and this: Johor Bahru station.. This is where your passport is checked (or actually looked at) by the Malaysian officials.. It was nice that we didn't have to down ourselves..

Along the causeway.. Its funny cos I never noticed that there was a railway track, eventhough I have been to Singapore many times before.. The road looks empty, but the previous day, on Good Friday, there was a 3 hour jam to get to JB cos of the long weekend..

Then it was time to disembark to get our passport stamped at the Singapore customs.. They are quite troublesome, have to scan your bags and they peer really closely at your face before stamping.. I even had to show my identity card cos my passport had just been renewed and had not been used before.. Thats the waiting area, where we had to wait to go up the train again..

Singaporean customs officials.. there were some sniffer dogs, but I didn't get a photo of them.. :(

Next up, our destination: Tanjong Pagar train station.. the building is quite impressive cos its decades of years old and its owned by our own KTM, so its weird, cos you're standing on land that belongs to our country while being in another country, hehe...

Check out the inside:






From the train station, we took a bus to get to my aunt's place.. I'm pretty satisfied that I finally got to sit on the top floor of a double decker bus.. :D You can see everything real clearly up there..

Pictures from the bus ride:





Spot me?! You know how people always say that the grass is always greener on the other side? I also feel that the roads are cleaner too! The trees also look prettier, must be a psychological effect..

Didn't do much on Saturday besides making ourselves at home and later making a trip to Compass Point for lunch, teatime and dinner.. :) The real fun came the next day.. Anyways, I love how they manage to have shopping malls in almost every neighbourhood.. Reachable by walking.. Sigh, and not just lousy supermarkets with substandard tenants.. If only we could have that in Malaysia.. Oh well, its happening in Wangsa Maju now, hopefully the trend will spread..

Damn pleased that I got to eat a dessert that I'd been missing for ages and couldn't find anywhere in Malaysia.. Heck, the last time I had it was my cousin's wedding ages ago (imagine, her son is already 10!!) Tadaa: 杏仁豆腐 or almond tofu with longans.. Yums :P

No comments: